2.07.2011

blackberry cobbler, love, loss, and babies

{one}

My first attempt at blackberry cobbler was a success!
I had some blackberries that I bought a week ago in my freezer, and with the super bowl coming up, I decided to put them to good use.  I found a super easy recipe online for making blackberry cobbler in a crockpot (it's harder to mess up crockpot recipes)...because I am not super careful when reading directions before I actually get started, a slight forgot-to-thaw-out-the-berries issue arose, but with a few minor tweaks to the recipe it was still ready in time for the Super Bowl party!

Here's what you need:


14 oz frozen blackberries, thawed and drained 
(I used frozen, but fresh, blackberries)
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup Bisquick original baking mix
2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup milk
ground cinnamon
cool whip or vanilla ice cream, if desired


RECIPE:
[1]  mix together blackberries, 1/2 cup sugar, water, and lemon juice. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours (or until boiling)
[2] Mix Bisquick, 2 tbsp sugar, and just enough milk to moisten ingredients. Drop dough by spoonfuls (should be about 6) onto hot boiling berry mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover and cook on high for 20-25 minutes.
[3] To serve, scoop out "dumplings" and spoon berries on top.  Finish it off with cool whip or vanilla ice cream.


Here's what I ended up with:

I am no chef, but this was DELICIOUS!  Everyone loved it at the party :) It would be very easy to double or triple the recipe if you want to serve more people; it's easy; and it is great! If I can do it, you definitely can!


{two}


I have been thinking more and more lately about how amazingly blessed I am with my wonderful husband.  I just wanted to give him a quick shout out from the most public forum available to me...this blog.  Sweetheart, you are the greatest blessing of my life.  Thank you for your kindness, for your joy and your easy-going attitude.  Thank you for trying to so hard to remember everything on your to-do list.  Thank you for caring about things because I care about them.  Thank you for making me laugh so often. Thank you for your hand on mine when we're out with friends to let me know that you are still thinking especially of me.  Thank you for who you are, when I am around and when I am not.  You take my breath away, and I love you deliriously.






{three}


Loss.  Maybe that is a bit melodramatic, but this semester off from school really has been a huge change. I have lost the main part of most of my days leading up to this point in my life...classes and studying.  It is a strange place for a bookworm like your's truly to be.  But it is also a great break.  I am trying to truly take advantage of these rare quiet seasons of life, and while I am a little at a loss with how to fill some of my hours, I am also able to read, exercise, and invest in the people around me more.  So I guess, this one's really more of a gain!


{four}


Another shoutout...this one to our friends Robbie and Chelsie.  Last night, they announced that they are pregnant! They are both amazing, godly, fun people, and they are going to be great parents! I am super excited for them to embark on this new part of their lives :)  I am also a little freaked out that Chelsie is the first friend of mine that is MY AGE to be diving into motherhood...craziness.  And she'll be great! And I'll get to love on her little one, which will help tide me over until after med school and residency :)



2 comments:

Emily Powell said...

it's great being married to someone who you think the WORLD of!

Makai said...

Thank you so much Anna! You are so sweet. And yes it is crazy being young and pregnant, but It's going to be great. Thanks for this sweet post.