12.05.2009

On Thursday of this week, I had no idea who the Flecktones were. When Rodney, Mikey's boss, called me to ask if we wanted to go see the Flecktones, I thought it sounded like a cartoon and avoided mentioning the name when I ran the idea past Mikey. Oh, how little did I know back then! I just got home from a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones concert, and it was absolutely incredible! Never in my life have I felt so musically illiterate. They could go between songs, between keys, between time signatures at the drop of a hat. They did a version of the Twelve Days of Christmas with each day in a different key AND a different time signature, and every time they went through it, they kept the exact right time for each individual day. Apparently, that's crazy! I really, really enjoyed their show!
AND, they had special guests: Alash. Alash is an ensemble of Tuvan throat singers (from the Republic of Tuva in Siberia). I just learned about them in my animal behavior class because they can do something that only birds (besides them) are known to be able to do: sing multiple tones at once! Birds have two voice boxes though, and humans only have one...which is why this skill is so unbelievable! It is called "throat singing," and it is absolutely astounding! I posted a video with the Flecktones and Alash doing a song together...see if you can hear the multiple tones in their voices when they sing! It is crazy!
Mikey and I had a great time at the show, and Mikey amazed me with his awesome musical knowledge. I am so proud of him! :) I want to give a special THANKS to Rodney and Tracy for inviting us to go to this show with their family!!! I never would have discovered these amazing groups on my own :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check out Alash's website to hear more Tuvan throat singing:
http://www.alashensemble.com