11.30.2009

The Flip-Side

I just finished reading Ephesians 2-4, and all I can say is WOW! This Saturday, Pastor Fred (or PF, as I often refer to him :D) was talking about our attitudes. He laid out how every thought has a flip-side, every perspective can shift. We cannot decide how others act, and we cannot control every injustice in the world. But we CAN decide how we respond to the world. Are we praisers or complainers? Do we choose to praise God in good and bad times, trusting that He has us covered, or do we complain and criticize? I know that in my own life, this really struck a chord. Sometimes I am so upset with things not being exactly right that I forget that God is still present in every circumstance...that instead of being upset about imperfections, I could be praising God and remembering all of the blessings in my life! Now, with this choice in mind, read Ephesians 4:22-24:

"You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness"

Sometimes it is so easy to sink down into an attitude of complaint and frustration, but God calls us to a different way of life, to a better way of life! I challenge you (and myself!) to work on our attitudes. If even for a day, keep track of how you are responding to the world. When you want to complain, count your blessings instead. Fix your mind on "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things" (Phil 4:8)

1 comment:

Sarah Ann Rogers said...

This is so true, and I need this every day! Especially in this busy school season, I have to remember that it's a privilege to be learning things that I love, even when I want to complain! Good thought!!