11.20.2009

Dreaming of the Future

Sometimes it astounds me how strong the pull on my heart to become a doctor is! I feel so fully, so unquestioningly that God created me to help people in that way. I really would love to do medical missions one day. I got to help out at a day-long one last summer, and if everything works out, I will be going back to mexico in February for a week long medical mission with the same missions base! :) Until then, I get to work hard in school and dream about the future!
A couple of weeks ago, I was blessed to have two days packed with pre-med experiences. On Sunday, I did an 11 hour ride-a-long with Dorchester County EMS. It was the first time I've ever been able to actually do medical things and HELP people! It was amazing! I got to help move patients, test blood glucose levels, auscultate blood pressures, help prepare an IV (just not stick the needle in the person's arm), help with automatic blood pressure readings and the ECG, and so much more...I was actually sad that night when I left after going for nearly 11 hours straight because I knew it would be a while before I would be lucky enough to be in a similar position again. On the Monday following my EMT ride-along, I went to MUSC for Susan Pershing Day, which is a day dedicated to explaining the mission and process of applying to MUSC for the medical college or for the MD/PhD program. We got to tour MUSC, speak with the deans of both programs, and ask questions of the deans and current students at MUSC. It freaked me out to realize that I am getting so close to taking the MCAT and applying to medical school; both of which I will likely do in the upcoming summer. CRAZINESS!

But all of this to explain that I KNOW and cannot wait to begin fulfilling what God has called me to do...I am in the process now, but I cannot explain to you (unless you are doing exactly what you want to do too!) how much joy and peace I feel when I am getting to learn about how to help people and to actually use that knowledge in the real world!! In my dreams, whenever someone gets hurt, I think about all of the possibilities of what it could be, and I start helping them! When I'm at work at a daycare and a child falls or anything, I always rush to be the one to talk to them about it and make sure they're ok...using the techniques I've learned in my EMT class to analyze their injuries. When I'm driving down the road now and witness an accident, I say a prayer for the EMTs, fire personnel, and doctors that will be helping those people, and I think about the kinds of things I would do if I were there and trying to help the person myself...I've even been on the verge of pulling over to offer my help once (right after my ride-a-long haha)!

I know I'm rambling, and you're a great friend if you've even read this far! But I just had to get all of this out of my mind and onto the screen. Sometimes I feel like being a doctor is so far away...and talking about all of this makes me feel like its a little bit closer, a little bit more attainable. In the end, I just have to work hard and trust that if God is calling me to do this, it will happen...one way or another! :)

3 comments:

The Baurs said...

You are going to be a GREAT doctor! You have truly been called to do this and you have never let up on pushing toward this goal and studying as much as you can (even the animal behavior studying... lol). I really hope you get to go in February! :)

Rabun said...

all i can say is DITTO! you are amazing, and it's so great to have encouragement, especially when classes are so difficult and frustrating....

can't wait to hang out with you over christmas break!

Unknown said...

You can do anything you set your mind to, with God to guide and lead you! He gave you such gifts and I know He means to use them for His glory. it's great you can love it along the way!