12.29.2011

Christmas Break book reviews

Alas, this poor medical student cannot go even two weeks without giving herself tasks to accomplish.  This break, I chose to catch up on some reading...I found a few good books and dug in! Here are my thoughts, recommendations, and warnings:

Books a-c:  The Hunger Games series


Technically, I did not read these books over Christmas break, but used them as study breaks during the two weeks before as I was cramming for my final block exam.  However, I am including them here.  They are AMAZING! My sister in law started reading them last year, and although she recommended them highly, I was skeptical because of their premise...a future world where children are required to battle to the death.  BUT while that very brief synopsis is accurate, it does not accurately portray the amazing character development and social questions raised by these amazing novels.  I really enjoyed these books.  They are quick reads...once you start, you can't put them down!  Plus, the first movie (portraying the first book of the series) comes out soon, although I am a little concerned that the film will not live up to the book and the world it created in my mind.

Book 1:  I am Nujood:  Age 10 and Divorced


This book was also really amazing, but very different.  It is about a 10-year-old girl raised in Yemen, her life growing up, her struggle after her father married her off at 10 years old, her mistreatment by her husband, and ultimately, her courage in fighting against the injustice of her situation. The book is written by Nujood, with the help of an established author, so you feel like you are hearing the story straight from this brave young girl. Her tale is heart-wrenching, but it is also very educational and inspiring. Her victory over her situation has inspired many young girls in similar circumstances to fight for their freedom as well. And when you buy the book, proceeds go to Nujood and her family. I really enjoyed this book, and I think it is a great read...I finished it in a day.  Go buy it and read it!

Book 2:  Let's Take the Long Way Home


Gail's story is a memoir of friendship, of struggle, of life, and of loss.  This book was not an easy read for me.  I almost stopped reading it a few times, but I just couldn't let it conquer me...so I persevered.  I am glad that I did.  The story is very touching.  Gail talks about her special bond with her best friend Caroline, their relationships with their dogs and the added bond those relationships give to their relationship, and the connection they share due to their similar struggles with alcoholism and smoking addiction.  Then, Caroline gets cancer, and Gail walks us through the days of Caroline's battle...and ultimately, Caroline's death.  I definitely had to wipe away a few tears.  This book was very touching, but also very troubling.  If these topics interest you, I would recommend the book.  Otherwise, it might just make you cry.

Book 3:  The Other Wes Moore 


This book was a very interesting.  I enjoyed it a lot.  It explored how two boys could grow up with the same name, with similar situations (no dad around, living in the rough inner city of Baltimore), but have two extremely different stories.  Wes Moore, the author, turned out to be a Rhodes scholar, a military officer that was highly respected, and a man with multiple other impressive accomplishments.  The other Wes Moore is spending the rest of his life in jail after being convicted of armed robbery, a crime that resulted in the death of a  security guard who was also a husband and father of five.  This book is the first Wes Moore's attempt to understand the complex paths that lead us in different directions in life.  It was very insightful, very interesting, and incredibly inspiring...it makes you want to make a difference in this country!  I highly recommend it.


Now throw in a few not-worth-mentioning brainless novels, and you have a pretty good idea of how I've spent my free time :)  Hope you have all enjoyed your Christmas and have a great New Year!!!

No comments: