6.13.2010

I'm Gonna Make a Change

My word! What a trip.

God has completely blown me away on this mission trip to Oaxaca, Mexico.  He has reminded me of His love and His faithfulness.  He has humbled me.  He has ripped my heart to shreds and started piecing it back together for Himself first, then for His people, and for myself last.  He has reminded me that He is the God over this whole world, that people from different nations who speak different languages and who live in different cultures can all worship Him with joy and thanksgiving.  He reminded me that He alone is God.

I left on this mission trip hoping to impact the people of Oaxaca, hoping to play games with and hug on some children, hoping to get to do a little medical missions…hoping for so much.  God was faithful to all my prayers, but He did not let me meet only my own expectations.  He left me hoping for even more…hoping to come back to SC and change the lives of people here, hoping that things really can change in this world…divorce, murder, poverty, sickness.  God is bigger than all of them.

One of the things that truly touched my heart on this trip was the PRAISE of the people in Oaxaca.  It amazed me that their services were so long and so full.  They never tired of singing to God and praying to God.  And more often than not, those prayers were not about their needs or their lives, but about how awesome God is, how faithful He is, how glorious He is, how loving He is.  God is truly worthy of praise.  And yet here at home, surrounded by more wealth and provision than I could ask for, I sometimes forget to praise.  I sometimes get caught up in my struggles, in what I want for my life, in how I want to eat or how I want to serve.  I forget that, no matter what, God is worthy of praise.  I forget how incredibly blessed I am to just know that Jesus Christ has saved me and given me life beyond sin and death! I forget that God is enough.  And He is. Oh, He is!

So now that I’m back in the good ole US of A, I have decided to make some practical changes in my life to remember how much God is worthy of praise.  I have decided to change my priorities and to stick to them.  God first.  People second.  Myself last.  Period.  I want to learn even more to love like God loves, and to not just love people in another country, but to love the people who are in my life day in and day out, to love those in need in my own community…I am going to give my life to God every day, to start my day seeking His face and His will for my day.  I am going to choose to praise my God because He is worthy of praise, not just when things are good or when I feel His presence, but ALWAYS.  He is God.  He deserves it.

I just can’t put it into words how much hope I have for the future…how much hope I have for this world and for my own small life.  God is so faithful, even when we are unfaithful, and I know He has big plans that are going to be carried out. I just want to take part. 

Mikey leading worship alongside the worship leader at Mission Victoria church in Rio.  Mikey sang a song in Spanish, and then the congregation cheered for more.  So Mikey and the band made some impromptu decisions on some songs in English.  We sing a lot of the same songs as the church there, so when the Mexican worship leader was familiar with a song, he came up to sing in Spanish at the same time Mikey sang in English.  It was a truly amazing service!
With some of the children after a craft at a VBS in rio :)
The boys hard at work digging trenches to put in some pipe to get water to the kitchen at the church in Rio.  Other guys were installing fans in the sunday school rooms.
The girls were in charge of painting three Sunday school rooms!  It was so great to get to do these service projects that left a lasting impact on the community!
Some of the kids in Manialtepec enjoying the dramas at a VBS
Praying over some men at a rehab center near Roca Blanca.  This night was amazing.  God was truly at work in the men at the center and in the men in our group!  We all left enthralled with the awesome hope and strength God offers us.
The giant rocks our team climbed on our last day in Roca Blanca.  We had a service, including communion, on top of the rocks.  It was breathtaking.  And an amazing way to end the week!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow! Looks like a WONDERFUL trip! So glad you're back safe and sound...look forward to hearing more about your adventure! ~Kristin from Windy Poplars

chloë. said...

Sounds like an amazing trip, and this post was a blessing to read! :) Thanks for sharing, friend!