4.03.2011

a healthier me

For the past couple of months I have been really working on being healthier...eating correctly, taking care of myself, and exercising.  Since I stopped dancing ballet about four years ago, I have been very on and off.  I never ate that healthy, but without dance class schedules, I couldn't work up the motivation to workout regularly anymore.  However, a couple of months ago, my doctor suggested that exercise would help me in an unexpected way...with stress.  I've always heard exercise was good for working off stress, but there is real metabolic science behind this idea! And it has been working for me!  I am really enjoying my new healthier lifestyle, and I thought it might be fun to share some of the knowledge and tricks I have gained that help to keep me on track...(not that any of these are ground breaking, but they have made the world of difference to me!)

[one]

A good cardio workout is this:
at least 3 days of 20 minutes of exercise at an elevated heart rate.
That doesn't mean 20 minutes on the bike or running...
it means 20 minutes once your heart rate picks up enough.
This will help to keep your heart healthy and your cardiovascular system happier.

[two]

A good metabolic workout is this:
at least 5 days of 40 minutes of exercise.
Heart rate is not a factor in this regimen.
The issue is working out for a long enough time for your body to burn through extra calories and, more importantly for me, stress hormones.
I combine one and two by exercising, on average, for forty minutes 5-6 days a week, at least 3 of those days being cardio.

[three]

Food is deceptive.
When I first started trying to eat better, I used a calorie counter app on my phone.
I was shocked at how bad some things are...things I always thought of as healthier.
Also, some things are significantly worse for you than another dish that seems very similar (especially pastas and creamy sauces/soups!)
Realizing these truths made me make smarter, more informed decisions about what I eat.
I was also shocked to realize how often I could indulge my sweet tooth, as long as I was eating healthier and exercising throughout the rest of the day! What a relief!
After a month and half or so of counting calories, I decided to lay off.
I still use my app to look up foods I'm unsure of, but I have a basic idea of how much I can eat and when.
This calorie counting has been so helpful to me!
I feel less guilty about a few treats, and I make better, healthier decisions overall!
(Weight Watchers probably has a similar effect!)

[four]

Exercise can be fun!
I have learned that there are some forms of exercise I love, and some I really don't love.
For example, I am NOT a runner...it hurts my knees, and makes me feel like my guts want to be on the outside of my body...so I avoid running, including the elliptical at the gym.
But I do love walking, biking, yoga, and dancing...these I do regularly!
I also try to go walking at the park, and not just around the neighborhood because it is so much prettier!
By finding exercise types that I really enjoy, I look forward to them...
My trips to the park or to the gym become a treat, not a burden.

[five]

You don't have to do the same thing all the time.
I used to always workout in the same way every time, and the result? I would get bored!
Duh, Anna!
Now, I do at least three different things throughout the week.
This keeps my body healthier, because I engage different muscles in different workout styles (plus!),
and it keeps my mind engaged during the activities (double plus!).



I hope some of these were helpful or encouraging to anyone out there who may be trying to move towards a healthier lifestyle.  They've really made a huge difference to me :) 

5 comments:

Anne said...

I wish I had an iphone because that I could use that calorie counter app. I'm not great at keeping track of what I eat. I did just start doing P90X and I love it. It's an hour workout 5-6 days a week and there are 11 different options, so you don't have to do the same workout more than once every 2 weeks. But I agree with points 4 and 5 - exercise is so much better when you're doing something you enjoy and when you get to change it up!

carissa said...

this is such good info!!! a nutritionist once told me that if you have to pick between working out and eating healthy you must eat healthy. i used to workout so i could eat whatever i wanted. now i workout and eat healthy... best of both worlds!

Anne @ Sincerely, Britches said...

Great job and some good tips there! I definitely need to start working out more, if only as a stress relief! :)

What app do you use for calorie counting?

Makai said...

Good for you Anna! I'm proud of you girl. Stay disciplined, but mostly enjoy what your doing. And it seems like you are. Awesome stuff!

Anonymous said...

This is great advice! I LOVE to workout. I feel SO MUCH BETTER with life if I workout! I've also started yoga and that is an awesome time to pray and reflect on life! (just found your blog)