5.24.2010

mexico, creepers, bread, and reggae


Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters



1. The Mexican consulate catering to the SE is not as large as one might expect. Today, I was shocked to discover the building's size when I drove there and back with Mikey and our friends Oscar and Maria. Oscar needed to renew his passport for our upcoming mission trip to Oaxaca, Mexico!!! :) So we gave them a lift, and made it into a fun roadtrip!! Although three of us (mikey was driving so not included) slept about half the time we were in the car!
2. Craigslist may be wonderful, but I cannot seem to feel safe from scammers and creepers. Right now, I'm trying to find a job, and a bunch of people have recommended doing so through craigslist, but I just feel so sketched out when I check out what is offered. Does anybody have any tips or tricks for avoiding scams? I definitely don't want to send out my resume with personal info to just anyone!
3. I love italian sandwich bread...thin sliced, please! I was trying to shop the outskirts of the grocery store, where fresher foods can be found (a tip I read from a comment on Lowercase Letters!), and I got some italian sandwich bread. I haven't bought this since Mikey and I got married almost two years ago, and I immediately recalled my love for it!! It is so great with sandwiches, toast, anything...mmmmm....maybe I'll go grab a slice with some butter right now!
4. For those of you who haven't heard any of the songs off of Matisyahu's new cd, check it out! He is a Jewish reggae-type singer. I'm really not super musical..in skill or lingo. But I love the words to his songs, and they all have great beats! Once I get the words down in my head, I can't help but sing along. One of my favorite lines in his song "on nature" is "we came to taste the rain. we're just widows and orphans. not afraid to feel the pain or to leave behind our notions" Love it! Check it out :) http://www.matisyahuworld.com

5 comments:

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I responded once to a Craiglist ad, otherwise, I was just too scared for ear of scams!

Italian bread is yummy! :)

Mandy said...

I'm terrified of scammers, too, but I'm constantly on craigslist anyway looking for stuff.

I'm trying that 'outskirts of the grocery store' thing too, but I must admit that I am constantly craving junkfood (mostly oreos...)! That bread looks so good, though~ I may have to go find some!

have a great day!

carissa said...

it's great to have you anna!!! i love all of your random! the trip sounds like fun - especially the company! i'm with you on craigslist... if i have to sell something i go for ebay even thought it involves shipping. isn't that the best grocery shopping tip?!!! i still keep wondering why i hadn't heard of it before! i love italian bread too! have a great week.

Kelsi Whitehorn said...

You mean you don't want to send your resume to that guy? Haha that picture is hilarious. Also, if you get the chance to see Matisyahu live, go! He's so great. He's an amazing beatboxer...and so fun.

chloƫ. said...

for craigslist, if you see something that seems legit and something for which you really would like to apply, email them first asking for more information on the job, and try to use an email address that doesn't use your full name. If they reply with a phone number, I would take that as a promising sign...but not necessarily a great sign. just be careful. not everyone on there is out to get you, but some are.

And Matisyahu is awesome! I am enamored with the Jewish culture and his story is so crazy! And seeing this orthodox Jewish guy rapping to reggae is just downright entertaining!